Carcinogens You Are Living With

Toxic and carcinogenic chemicals are scattered all around your house. Read, identify, and look for what all bear the risk of causing cancer inside your home?

Carcinogens

Apart from tobacco, which is a fairly known carcinogen, there are several other toxic chemicals that can put you at an increased risk of cancer, even within the closed doors of your home.

Non-stick cookware: Every house’s staple, this cooking ware can potentially put you at a higher risk of cancer. Studies indicate that in some low quality non-stick utensil surfaces which contain perfluorooctanoic acid can cause liver cancer. Agreed that non-stick cookware reduces oil consumption but at the cost of getting a cancer?Start using more of heavy bottomed stainless steel utensils.

Aluminium utensils: Aluminium carries a considerable danger of toxicity. Leakage of aluminium into food can put one at risk of cancer and also Alzheimer’s disease. However, high grade scratch-resistant and anodised aluminium cookware is safe to use as it prevents leaching of the metal into food. But make sure to throw it away the moment it chips.

Plastic containers: Every house hold is full of plastic containers but remember, not all plastics are safe. While choosing plastic utensils for food and water, go for the expensive ones. Usually the high quality plastic items have an identification coding system and they are considered safe. If you just can’t do away with plastic wholly, at least make sure to throw all old containers, especially those with heavy scratches. Older plastics tend to leach increasing amounts of toxins. Also, do not microwave foods in plastic containers, unless they say it as “microwave safe”. Heating plastics increases the chances of leaking chemicals into the food, exposing you to harmful toxins.

Scented candles: Sure they smell heavenly but artificially scented paraffin wax candles that produce soot (black smoke) are not good for you. Always buy beeswax candles as they are any day a safer bet.

Air fresheners: Most air fresheners contain formaldehyde and naphthalene, two well-known carcinogens. So stop using such air fresheners right away! For a sweet and fresh scent around your home, go for natural aromatic oils.

Mothballs: Those white small cute-looking balls contain naphthalene, a well known carcinogen. The whiff of mothballs in your loo or wardrobe indicates you are inhaling a harmful insecticide.

Insecticides: The products that claim to eliminate cockroaches, mosquitoes and flies actually contain many harmful cancer-causing toxins. So stay away, if you can.

Paints and varnishes: Paints contain “volatile organic compounds”, which are known carcinogens. Make sure to opt for paints with low or no VOC finishes and steer clear of this harmful toxin in your home, which gets released into the air and can cause harm even years after application.

All the above mentioned alternatives to the probable carcinogens might pinch your pocket a little extra but is wealth more than health.

It’s your call now.

-->